Capcom recently announced that the extension of their internet-centric, cyber-battle-oriented RPG franchise Mega Man Battle Network is schedualed to hit North America this spring. Mega Man Battle Network 5, acting as a continuation of the previous titles, is planned to be released as two separate games: Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Protoman and Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Colonel. The two games will include features similar to the past games, but with the obvious additions of different characters, enemies, battle chips and souls.
The story takes place one month after the conclusion of the battle with the Dark Chip Syndicate. An evil organization known as "Nebula" is attempting to hijack the global internet. This time through, players must cooperate with other cyber heroes in order to free the internet from Nebula's control. Up to six Navi allies can be obtained and utilized throughout the game, and each of the two versions will possess an exclusive set of companions, which include characters from previous titles.
Mega Man Battle Network 5 also features a return of the "Soul Unison" system, which enables players to make use of the special abilities obtained from an opponent's soul. The "Dark Chip" will resurface as well, giving players control over the powers of darkness once more, but slightly reducing a player's total HP with every use.
A complete list of Mega Man Battle Network 5's features includes:
Features unique to each version of Mega Man Battle Network 5 include:
- Liberation Turf Battle Missions – The missions are based on liberating areas of the internet controlled by Nebula. Players must utilize the abilities of each ally to free each region and return it to normal.
- "Chaos Union" system - Grants players the power of darkness by uniting them with a dark chip.
- Flashback scenarios - Useful information can be discovered by plugging into the past.
- Six different allies per game, making for a total of 12.
- Storylines unique to each game.
- Six different souls per game, making for a total of 12.
- Different battle chips for each game
- Different enemies for each game