Description & Submission Information
This competition is for the best variation of a song, from any game released under the Final Fantasy, past and present, on any system, with no requirements on style. The submitted file can be of MP3, MIDI, or Digital (IT/XM/S3M) format.
The composition must consist of a variation of a single song that meets
Contest begins Wednesday, January 16, 2002 and continues until Friday, February 8, 2002. A list of winners will be posted on this page no later than 6:00 PM Pacific on Friday, February 15, 2002. Chances of winning depend upon the number of contest entries. One entry per person only.
Winners will be notified via e-mail by Friday, February 15, 2002. Winners will be required to reply to the e-mail within seven (7) business days, including his/her mailing information, or forfeit the prize. Except where prohibited, by accepting said prize, winners consent to the use of his/her name for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation. Allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of prizes. All prizes will be awarded. No cash or other substitution for prizes except at the option of RPGamer, for a prize of equal or greater value. Prizes won by minors will be awarded to a parent or legal guardian.
RPGamer's decisions in all respects relative to the contest are final. By entering, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Contest is offered by RPGamer. RPGamer is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, late, or misdirected e-mail. By participating and/or winning a prize, the winner releases RPGamer and its employees and sponsors from any and all liability with respect to any prize. RPGamer reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest in cases of fraud or prize supply limits, as determined by RPGamer in its sole discretion. RPGamer reserves the right to disqualify any winner, as determined by RPGamer in its sole discretion.
The contest is open to all American and Canadian readers of RPGamer.com, except employees of RPGamer, Mixx Entertainment Inc. staff, and their immediate families.
Contest Due Date: Friday February 8th,
- A form that is an altered version of a given theme,
diverging from it by melodic ornamentation and by changes in
harmony, rhythm, or key.
- One of a series of forms based on a single theme. -Dictionary.com
The prizes are as follows:
Special thanks to TokyoPop for donating the prizes!
- First Place - Final Fantasy N Generation and Final Fantasy S Generation CDs
- Second Place - Final Fantasy X US
- Variation Composition (40%)
- How well does the variation represent the selected song?
- Does the composition stand alone as a
song? The finished product should have a solid structure all to
- Creative Outlook (40%)
- What innovation has the composer utilized to make the composition stand out? Try to take a radical approach to an old song and give it new life.
- What does this song do to make it sound
original? What makes it stand out from other songs?
- Professional Quality (20%)
- The quality of the song should be crisp and complete.
- For MP3s and Digital files, sampling should be clean and of high quality.
- For MIDIs, the instrumentation must work well on varied systems, with a basic soundfont.
- The composition should be of a strong
caliber. It should stand on its own, and show who you are. Don't be afraid of putting something completely new into the mix.