Anthem of the Unsung
Welcome to the newest Sound Test contest, Anthem of the Unsung.
This competition is the first after nearly a full year hiatus from the contest racket. A single-round contest, remixers will be asked to make a submission to fit the theme "lesser known character." For a common example, doing say, Terra's theme from Final Fantasy VI would recieve a 0 for the contest, as she is argueably the main character of the game. However, doing a piece that is based on Gogo's theme, from the same game, would be more fitting. Keep in mind, that the character on whom the music is based doesn't need to be a hero or playable character. Villians, NPCs, even multiple related characters are fair game. Basically anyone with a musical theme attached to them will work out.
Below is a full listing of the contest rules, the judging criteria, and the prizes. Should you have any questions regarding the contest, feel free to email the curator. Good luck and have fun with your work!
- The purpose of this competition is to submit a remix of a song from a game that falls under RPGamer's coverage guidelines and adheres to the guildlines of the theme presented for this contest.
- For equality in submission quality, all submissions should be MP3 (preferably with a bit rate of 192kbps). This will allow for accurate judging of the quality of the submissions, as all pieces will be on a level playing field.
- Submissions must include the following information: Name of artist. Name of song. Original song title and game in which it appears. A few brief words about your composition.
- The entries for may be posted in the Sound Test weekly updates as they are submitted.
- The contest is welcome to recieve submissions for anyone except for the three contest judges. RPGamer staff member submissions will not be eligible for prizes.
- The competition begins as of this posting, November 14, 2006. The contest deadline for submissions is 11:59pm PST, December 14, 2006. The contest results will be posted December 24, 2006.
- There will be three judges: Matthew 'Redbeastmage' Foster, Matthew 'Barieuph' Russo, and Elliot 'Carlisle' Guisinger. None of the judges will be permitted to take part in the competition. The judging will be based on the categories below.
- Theme (10%) - The category ensures that the composition follows the theme of particuluar round of the contest. A 0 in this catagory implies that the mix completly ignores the theme of the competition and is disqualified.
- Remix (30%) - The category encompasses how well the remix represents the original work(s). The piece should be strong enough that someone familiar with the original work recognizes the source material, but that it also strong enough to stand alone from the original.
- Creativity (45%) - This category is a critique of the artists compositional decisions in the songs creation. What has been added to really breath life into the song? Does the song flow solidly from section to section, and stay fresh without becoming repetitive? Is this song enjoyable to listen?
- Production (15%) - This category encompasses the technical qualities of the sound, including the quality of samples used, of any recording done, and of mixing and panning.
- The winner of the contest will recieve a RPG soundtrack or score of his/her choice (worth up to $40).
The results are in. In a close race, Danimal Cannon comes out on top with a score of 260 for his remix "Saro's Vengeance". Following closely behind that is Rexy's "Girl Scout of Bikanel" and bringing up strong in third is PrometheusX with his Terranigma remix "Deadly Duo". Great work to all who competed, it's your work that makes Sound Test possible. Also thanks to my fellow judges Carlisle and Barieuph for helping judge the contest. Look forward to the next contest in the new year. Happy Holidays everyone!
Anthem of the Unsung entries