Welcome to RPGamer's third contest of the year! For this event your knowledge and your powers of logic will be tested to their utmost.
Every year with the end of Winter and the dawn of Spring the world is born anew. This cycle of unending hope is a great deal like the victories and defeats that a hero must face. Virtually all heroes have a friend or companion that stands just outside the limelight even while being an instrumental part of the eternal battle against evil. This contest will begin by testing your knowledge of the underdogs of RPGdom; the heroes-to-be, the best-friends, the quiet mercenaries, the old wise men, and the lost loves that - themselves - bring hope... To the heroes.
For the first time in years, RPGamer is proud to present a contest in the form of... A crossword puzzle! Although the puzzle graphic and the hints you'll need to fill it in are located in the links to the right, those are only the first steps in this contest. Each hint is the name of a sidekick or secondary hero that makes an appearance in one of the games that RPGamer covers. Your task is to fill in the crossword with the title of the game from which each character comes; ignore all punctuation including spaces! Once you have the puzzle solved, take a moment to note all of the colored squares; the letters contained in those squares spell out a word or phrase that answers the secret question.
At the end of the contest all you need to do is send an email to email@example.com with "Hope Springs Eternal" in the subject line. As long as your email includes the correct answer to the secret question, your name, age, and mailing address, your entry will go into a pool from which winners will be chosen at random; you do NOT need to submit the answers to the crossword - it is only a means by which to solve the actual puzzle. Each of the winners of Hope Springs Eternal will receive either a copy of Generation of Chaos (3) or Shadow Hearts: From the New World (3).
Official Contest Rules:
- All entries must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM PDT on Saturday, March 25th, 2006. Limit of one entry per person; repeat entries will be disqualified.
- Contest begins Tuesday, March 14th, 2006 and continues until Saturday, March 25th, 2006 at 11:59 PM PDT. The winners will be revealed on http://www.rpgamer.com no later than 8:00 PM PDT on Monday, March 27th, 2006. Chances of winning depend upon the number of contest entries.
- The winners will be notified via email prior to the public announcement. The winners will not be required to reply to the email message, but should the email be returned, the prize will be reawarded. Except where prohibited, by accepting said prizes, the winners consent to the use of their names for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation. Allow 1-2 weeks for delivery of the prizes. All prizes will be awarded. No cash or other substitution for prizes except, at the option of RPGamer, for a prize of equal or greater value. If the prizes are won by minors, they will be awarded to their parents or legal guardians.
- RPGamer's decisions in all respects relative to the Contest are final. By entering, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules. The Contest is offered by RPGamer. RPGamer is not responsible for incomplete, illegible, late, or misdirected email. By participating and/or winning a prize, the winner releases RPGamer and its employees and sponsors from any and all liability with respect to any prize. RPGamer reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest in cases of fraud or prize supply limits, as determined by RPGamer in its sole discretion. RPGamer reserves the right to disqualify any winner, as determined by RPGamer in its sole discretion.
- Information submitted for this Contest, such as your Name, Email Address, or Physical Address will be used exclusively for the purpose of this Contest. RPGamer does not sell, loan, or share this information with third parties or use it for its own promotion. Your privacy is important to us.
- The Contest is open to all American and Canadian readers of RPGamer except employees of RPGamer, Nippon Ichi Software America, XSEED Games, their partners, and the immediate families of the aforementioned.
RPGamer would like to thank Nippon Ichi Software America and XSEED Games for the prizes for this contest.